Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chapter 7 Reflections

Reflecting on the topic of word processing, I thought to myself....what an easy topic to write about!  I've been using word processing software for years and actually quite enjoy it!  However, as always, I found out that there's more than meets the eye when refering to any type of technology.  I never imagined how much I can intregrate word processing into my students lives to meet their indvidual needs.  The more I learn from this class, the more amazed I become!  Here's what I learned this week!
1.  Doesn’t word processing make the writing process too easy?
Does it make writing easier?  Yes.   Does it make writing too easy?   No.  I see word processing as an enabling tool that students can use to write more efficiently and constructively.  It might make it easier in the sense of saving time, help with spelling, grammar, etc., but the students will still have to be able to come up with the content and flow on their own.  An advantage of using word processing in the writing process is the ability to create graphic organizers.  These allow students to organize their writing content graphically so that it’s easier to see, to understand and to layout.  They can also create tables within their paper to organize essential information.  If students were to create these things using a pencil and paper, not only would it take more time, but the student would ultimately be focused more on their handwriting style rather than their focusing on what their actually writing. (Morrison & Lowther, 2010).
2.  How can word processing be used to engage students in higher-level thinking?
Almost any function in word processing challenges students to use their higher-level thinking skills.  For example, “Student creation of graphic organizers involves numerous decisions that require higher-order thinking about the new information to be learned” (Morrison & Lowther, 2010).  Along with that, creating tables in word processing challenges students to demonstrate the relationships between main concepts and the supporting ideas.  All of the word processing activities require learning strategies which “is the basis for engaging students in higher-order critical thinking” (Morrison & Lowther, 2010).
3.  In what ways are the individual needs of students met when their work is completed with a word processor?
Student use of word processing increases opportunities for equity in learning by ensuring that the teacher match the word processing skills with the what the students are required to learn.  In doing this, the teacher focuses on “key functions that help students process information at a deeper, long-term level” (Morrison & Lowther, 2011).  Examples of these key functions include tables, graphic organizers, and hyperlinks.  The teacher must then provide a problem for the student to solve, allow them time to research and analyze the problem before hopping on the computer, then providing appropriate means to show their results (ie – making a table or graphic organizer).  After that, the teacher needs to assign individualized supporting activities that link to the word processing skills that they just learned.
References:
Morrison, G.R. & Lowther, D.L. (2010). Integrating computer technology into the classroom: skills for the 21st century. Allyn & Bacon, Boston, MA.

No comments:

Post a Comment