1. Must I use a inquiry-based learning approach in my classroom to use computers as a tool?
No, inquire-based learning is just one of three open-ended learning environments that exposes students to new information. The other two are problem-based and project-based learning. (Morrison & Lowther, 2010). In Inquiry-based learning, students start with a question or problem to solve and the teacher serves as a facilitator to guide students learning. Problem-based learning is similar to Inquiry-based learning except that it is not as structured. The students have a broader area of exploration and the teacher is not as hands-on with providing support to students. Project-based learning is more structured by way of providing students with a step-by-step process of completing the project. In this approach, the teacher provides ongoing feedback and guides student learning. When deciding which approach is best to use, the teacher needs to analyze his/her teaching style as well as the needs of the students.
2. Can I still use tutorials and drill-and-practice software?
If I was teaching a science lesson to 2nd graders, I could use computer-based instruction (CBI) for tutorials and drills with my students as long as it matched up with my objectives and provided opportunities to scaffold their learning. When students are needing to solve a problem, I could use CBI to assess their prior knowledge of the subject matter, link it to new learning and walk them through how to solve the problem. Supplemental activities could also be used to provide extra practice and means of expressing their current knowledge on the subject matter.
3. Won't I have to spend a great deal of time to develop these units of instruction?
At first glance, yes. The first year is always the hardest when creating lesson plans that integrate technology. Gathering information, activities and websites, and pulling it all together in order to present it to the students can be a lengthy process, however, it gets easier each additional year you teach the unit. Sometimes at grade-level meetings, teachers will share ideas and lesson plans to help take some of the weight off the first year teacher, so I would definitely use my resources to help pull together a new unit lesson plan. After teaching that unit for a year or two, I could have fun with it and do some minor tweaking to help improve the lesson and it's activities.
4. Won't every student need a computer to use it as a tool?
I see integrating technology in the classroom as a collaborative effort. Having one computer for every student is the ideal way to integrate technology into your student's learning, however, most schools are not afforded the opportunity to put computers in the hands of each and every student. When a classroom of 20 or more students has only 5 computers, the teacher must begin to get creative. Teachers can break students into groups, allow them to educate each other and work together to solve a problem. Sharing a computer means that the students must divide the responsibility and socialize with one another. Furthermore, the teacher must develop a classroom management plan to deal with the socializing and ensure that students are staying on task and pulling their own weight.
References:
Morrison, G. R. , & Lowther, D. L. (2010). Integrating computer technology in the classroom. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.
pedagogy - computer-based instruction. (2011). In Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved from http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/448410/pedagogy on June 27, 2011.
No comments:
Post a Comment