Thursday, June 30, 2011

Chapter 4 - Reflection Questions

1.  There are so many types of software; how do I know which ones to include in my lessons?

Of the 5 different types of software used in classrooms today, my favorite software to use are the ones for educational purposes.  For this software, I could use tutorials to present my students with new content as well as provide practice for them to learn the content.  I could also use drill and practice software to reinforce these skills by means of solving problems or answering questions.  I would also use Integrated learning systems to provide students with an individualized instructional plan that supports their learning style while providing practice, feedback and assessment tools on their level of learning.  Lastly, I would use testing software such as Accelerated Reader and Accelerated Math to help students reach their math and reading goals.

2.  I understand why students should use educational software and the Internet, but why should my fourth-grade students learn to use spreadsheet, database, or video editing software?

Because there is a clear connection between the use of these tools and learning.  Making spreadsheets and charts and databases increases the student's ability to analyze and organize information and present it to the class as an assessment tool. Using video editing software allows students to pull together all of their research into a slide show to present to the class.  They can also enhance the information on each slide by adding graphics, video, voice or sound to their presentation.     

3.  How can students use of different types of software help improve scores on state tests?

Practice makes perfect, and using software programs that provides students with activities to practice their content knowledge can help improve their test scores.  Technology has propelled student learning to a new level and students are now beginning to synthesize information to a deeper level of understanding.  This project-based, hands-on learning allows students to understand the content better and therefore will help them improve their overall test scores. 
I also found a website that introduces teachers to a new software program that helps students overcome their fears and anxieties of testing.   View this article about a new type of software called emWave (Eldred, E. 2010) and tell me what you think!

Resources:
Eldred, E. (2010, December 15). Test anxiety software helps students improve test scores [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://bsmknighterrant.org/news/2010/12/15/test-anxiety-software-helps-students-improve-test-scores/

No comments:

Post a Comment